Authenticating and Legalizing a Canadian Degree for Use in Spain

If you have obtained a degree from a Canadian educational institution and plan to work or study in Spain, you must authenticate and legalize your degree to ensure its validity in the country. This process can be broken down into three main steps: notarization, authentication, and legalization.

  1. Certified Copy: Before you authenticate and legalize your degree, you could first have the University Registrar issue you a certified copy of your Degree to save the processing of the original. They will verify your original degree and provide a certified copy, which will be used in the following steps.
  2. Authentication: Next, you must authenticate the original or certified copy of your degree. This step is carried out by the Canadian government. You will need to submit your degree to Global Affairs Canada (GAC) in Ottawa for authentication. GAC will verify the  signature on your document and place an authentication stamp and signature on the document.

To submit your documents to GAC, you can either mail them or use the services of an authentication and legalization service provider. The processing time for authentication by GAC can vary, so it's best to plan accordingly.

  1. Legalization: After your notarized degree has been authenticated by GAC, it's time for legalization. This is the final step to make your degree valid for use in Spain. You must submit your authenticated degree to the Embassy or Consulate of Spain in Canada for legalization. The Spanish diplomatic mission will verify the authentication provided by GAC and place a legalization stamp or certificate on the document.

Please note that the Embassy or Consulate of Spain may require additional documentation or fees for the legalization process. It is advisable to contact them in advance to inquire about specific requirements.

Once these three steps are complete, your Canadian degree will be recognized as valid in Spain. Keep in mind that processing times can vary depending on the institutions involved, so it's essential to start the process well in advance of your intended travel or employment start date.