A Commissioner for Oaths in Canada is generally not authorized to certify a true copy of a document, where their authority is governed by the province or territory of appointment. A Commissioner for Oaths is generally only authorized to witness signatures for certain documents such as a Statutory Declaration or an Affidavit. When you require a certified true copy of a document to be authenticated and further legalized for use in another country, you will need to use the services of a Canadian Notary Public as Canadian Notaries are authorized to make a certified true copy of a document which can be authenticated by Global Affairs Canada. Global Document Solutions can also make a certified true copy of your originals.

Categories: ALSC FAQ's, Questions about the Authentication and Legalization Process?